Friday, January 12, 2018

exploring southern Chile


the port in Valparaiso, Chile

I am half Chilean. My whole family lives in Chile. I grew up in the US, but I’ve been to Chile a bunch of times over the years.

That said, the place I’ve spent most of that time in my abuelita’s kitchen in Viña del Mar.

I mostly help with meals, wash dishes, smoke cigarettes, drink a million cups of tea, and catch up with my aunts, uncles, and cousins.

All my trips have been about family time. Family will always be my main reason for visiting.

Time to Explore

Even though I've been on plenty of visits, I’ve never done much sightseeing.

Back in 2014, Stacy and I decided to go for it. We planned to spend Christmas with the family and then take off on our own.

We started by biking all over Santiago and then quickly flew south to Coyhaique to spend a few weeks in Patagonia.

Memories of Southern Chile 

las capillas de marmol Marble Caves en Puerto Rio Tranquilo, Chile

I can't forget the stunning countryside views from the bus going down the Carretera Austral, the old ladies who hosted us in their cozy hospedajes, and the striking natural scenery. 

From lakes to waterfalls to the world-famous marble caves, Chile was stunningly beautiful. 

I’m not super great at nature, so it was intense for me. I even surprised myself by strapping on some crampons and walked up a glacier. 

Glacial Exploradores, Chile

Though we didn't make it to Torres del Paine on that trip, we had a gorgeous couple of weeks. Southern Chile is full of impressive natural settings on the grand scale.

Now that I've had a small taste, I will be sure and set aside time for exploring on every visit from now on. Te lo juro!

1 comment:

  1. Boracina Mobile Notary Public Service & Loan Signing Agent
    6039 Cypress Gardens Blvd, Ste 1721, Winter Haven, FL 33884
    Cross Streets: Near the intersection of Cypress Gardens Blvd and Helena Rd
    notary public near me open Sunday Lakeland fl

    ReplyDelete