Saturday, October 2, 2010

irish culture night

double chocolate muffins with Nutella frosting

Connemara Irish Peated Single Malt Whiskey AKA scotch
Look what our night degraded into: chocolate muffins and whiskey. In fairness, we were partaking of Irish culture, I promise. Connemara is a peated single malt whiskey made at the Cooley Distillery, which is the only remaining Irish-owned distillery in the country. According to them, all the old Irish whiskeys have been purchased by international agents and they are the real deal. It's like microbrew for whiskey as far as I can tell. We tasted a few of their whiskeys (my favorite was Tyrconnel) at a Yelp event at the science gallery last week and hubby liked this one the best. Dont tell him I said so but I think he liked it because it tastes like scotch!

The chocolate muffins are also a foray into Irish culture since I made them from a box of muffin mix I bought at Tesco. Tesco is my favorite grocery store in Ireland and the purchase of Nutella is a completely new thing since we moved to Ireland. In Ireland the muffin mix boxes include the paper muffin cases. How thoughtful! What do you think about our Irish experience tonight?

2 comments:

  1. I think that's the most charming Irish experience I can think of. It's hard to believe there's only one Irish-owned distillery left... kind of sad. When I visit I want to taste the best whiskeys and tesco products available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will gladly be your tour guide

    ReplyDelete