Saturday, October 2, 2010

secret hiding place

George St. Arcade-Temple Bar, Dublin 2
restored wrought-iron blah blah blah
Trying to find our favorite fancy-pants grocery store Fallon & Byrne again, hubs and I ran into the George's Street Arcade. I made us go in since I read in Frommer's it was Dublin's first (and only) Victorian shopping arcade. The travel guide went on and on about the wrought-iron roof. I tried to be amazed by it but see for yourself--it's just a roof. Architects feel free to enlighten me.

Much more exciting were the shops inside the arcade. It is a secret nook where they (you know, Dubliners) are hiding the hippest little restaurants, record shops, and local clothing shops along two narrow rows. We were on a mission to do groceries but we will definitely be back for future snacking and shopping. I also noticed that one of the doorways is on Drury Street, which I cant seem to pass without singing the Muffin Man in my head. Did the Irish make up the Muffin Man?

No comments:

Post a Comment