Tuesday, August 21, 2018

AI, ML, and RPA: Oh my!

I learn so much from my job. 

Being a copywriter means TONS of research and getting familiar with historical and current events in my clients' industries.

Intro to Automation 

I've spent a year working with a cloud-based Content Management System (CMS) developer out of Thailand so I've had the opportunity to learn about enterprise-level tech and get an inside peek at things like ISO documentation and business process management (BPM). The company has a few light automation modules so I was introduced to the general concept and things like optical character recognition (OCR) software that allows computers to "read" text and handwriting without the help of a human. 

Recently, I picked up another multinational client that specializes entirely in automation software. As a copywriter I have to know a decent amount about the topic so that anything I produce for the client doesn't sound like it's coming from an outsider. That means I've been playing catch up for the past few months. As I scramble to get the basics under my belt, I realized how glad I am that I fell into tech copy for work. It means I get to keep my finger on the pulse of a really cool industry. 

3 Basic Automation Terms

AI = Artificial Intelligence
ML = Machine Learning
RPA = Robotic Process Automation

This all describes automation to varying degrees of intelligence. RPA is the technology of "bots" that do tasks at superhuman speeds. ML involves bots that learn and improve with the help of human input and feedback. AI is about bots organized in complex networks that have the capability to learn and make decisions for themselves based on logical analysis and big data.

I reached out to a guy on LinkedIn who is a freelance AI writer much further along in his career. I asked him where I could learn more and he dropped these three links on me so I'll share. Read with me so we can learn more about the future of automation together. 

AI Trends - the latest in the AI industry
Machine Learningsfact-based predictions on what the future of ML will look like
Automators World - technical info on RPA solutions, including popular platforms and RPA frameworks in the wider sense

What's the coolest thing you're learning about lately at your job?

No comments:

Post a Comment