Tuesday, August 21, 2018

I joined the Hispanic Caucus

Sometime after arriving in Prague, I was scoping out the food scene (first things first!) by scanning Twitter for #praguefood photos. I found an expat with a sense of humor, a focus on U.S. politics, and a soft spot for Starbucks who was sharing about life in Prague. Followed.

After Ana and I became friends in real life, I found out her penchant for civic engagement goes beyond the run-of-the-mill armchair activism. A Mexican-American from Washington State, she actually serves as the global Chair of the Hispanic Caucus for Democrats Abroad.

Learning about Ana's activism came at a good time. As an expat watching the Trump debacle unfold from abroad, I have experienced an overwhelming sense of frustrated impotence since November 8, 2016. Of course I vote from abroad, but what else can I do?

As a result of this lucky friendship, I now have a small way to make a difference. I joined the Hispanic Caucus Steering Committee and I am excited to learn from current members about how to contribute. For now I'll be submitting articles for the caucus's blog, co-hosting our podcast, and participating in the global efforts to get out the absentee vote.

As a Chilean-American who votes in San Francisco County, I want to push for voters to support progress that benefits the greater Latino community across the United States.

Though I'm out of the country at the moment, I want my home to be a place that I am proud of as I travel, a place that protects me while abroad, and a place where friends and family are safe in their neighborhoods. If you are also an expat with spare time, get in touch. Democrats Abroad needs volunteers during voting season or you could get involved in one of the DA caucuses centered around minority communities.

If you dont have time to give but you like Latina feminism, follow @AnaBlackstad and enjoy high quality coffee hunting & GIF curation at its finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment