Thursday, August 30, 2018

Karaoke Queen

When I move to a new country, I always pick a karaoke song in the local language to learn. That way on a night out, I can make friends and impress strangers.

In Thailand I used to sing “สบาย สบาย (Sabai Sabai)” by Bird Thongchai. It was a hit back in the day so everybody knows the words--even in neighboring countries like Laos. Plus, not many foreigners know it. Most foreigners only sing "ดู เธอ ทำ" (Du Ter Tum) the backpacker anthem.

Is music a good tool for language learning? Sure, it's good for contextual vocabulary and correct pronunciation, but I don't do it for educational reasons. To be perfectly honest I do it for the reaction. People freak out when they see a foreigner singing in their language. It's like a talking dog.

Once in Kanchanaburi, Stacy and I queued up Sabai Sabai at a riverside restaurant. About 100 Thai teachers were having their staff retreat at the hotel. After we started the song, they rushed the stage,  screaming. A bunch of older ladies shoved whisky sodas in our hands and a long night of Thai dance lessons began. The magic of an "in".

Today I found a song I will eventually be able to sing in Czech. It's by a band called "Three Sisters" and its basically "99 Red Balloons" by Nena so I know the melody. Now all I need to figure out is where (and if) Czech people do karaoke.

UPDATE: After nearly 3 years of living in Prague, I had to accept that Czech people don't really do karaoke. I found one place called K*Star Karaoke in Vinohrady near I.P. Pavolva that has rooms, but it was a one-time deal with friends from soccer. I know there is karaoke at Berlin Bar but it's mostly tourists on holiday. Finally I tried a karaoke bar called Ground Zero in Žižkov with friends one night. The song list was controlled by a Russian staffer who sang every other song and didn't allow anyone from our group to sing songs in English or Czech. Lesson learned. Karaoke is not a thing here.

Tri Sestry – Dederon (tune of "99 Red Balloons")
Čas je díra čas je bič
Lepší kdyby vůbec nebyl
Nejednou chceš svůj balon
Ztracenej je v dětství nebi
A letí dál a stoupá výš
Letí proudem roků zpátky
To jen čas trh oponou
Věci mizí - kde už jsou

Nejednou chci svůj balón
Zpuchřelá a prasklá duše
Jistě řeknu - to je on
Poznám ho měl jsem ho rád
Každa další známá věc
Kaugummi a pflege dusche
Drážďany a schone schuhe
A zde Simson Motorrad

Mý gumoví indiáni
Z ulice unter den Linden
Později jsem se tam zpil
Zrovna když byl feuer werk
Tmavý pivo se sirupem
řízek v sósu s knedlíkem
cigára Káro byly fajn

Jedno jak se změnil svět já chci zpátky svůj balón
já chci zpátky svůj balón
já chci zpátky svůj balón

Nejednou chceš svůj balon ztracenej je v dětsví nebi
Všechny věci cos měl rád na tebe tam tiše čekaj
Až se tvůj čas naplní letíš proudem roků zpátky
Někde najdeš svůj balón nech ho zatím - ať si lítá
Time is a hole Time is a whip
Better if he was not
You want your balloon
Lost in the childhood of heaven
And he flies on and rises higher
It's flowing back many years
It's only time the market opens
Things disappear - where they are

I want my balloon
Sweet and cracked soul
Sure I say - that's him
I know I liked him
Any other known thing
Kaugummi and dusk
Dresden and schone schuhe
And here Simson Motorrad

My rubber Indians
From the street unter den Linden
Later, I drank there
Just when he was a feuer werk
Dark beer with syrup
slices in dumplings with dumplings
cigar Kara were fine

One way the world has changed, I want my balloon back
I want my balloon back
I want my balloon back

You want your balloon lost in the heavenly sky
All the things you liked to wait quietly there
When your time is full, you're flying back over the years
Somewhere you will find your balloon let it go - let it fly


Do you know any songs I should learn? What's your favorite song in another language? Does it help you make friends?

1 comment:

  1. Michal David "Nonstop" and Lucie Bila "Esemes" are karaoke classics here in CZ! I hear them positively every time I go. I'm working rn on Nena's "99 Luftballons". (Pray for me.)

    ReplyDelete