Monday, March 21, 2011

sweets

almost as tasty as George Michael himself

Ireland knows sweets. The candy display at the corner Spar is bigger than the candy selection at an American grocery store. That says something a whole lot. I have heard stories of Irish people visiting the US or Canada and coming back with bags of new candies for their friends and family to try. Candy as souvenirs = awesome. The Irish are such fans of sugar that they even put it in their tea with milk. I have learned that I like my tea 'black'. To me, this is like asking for my ice cream served 'cold'. Please excuse the state of me and enjoy this photo montage of me eating a WHAM bar. 

The moral of the story is that I've found amazing candy here in Ireland. It is super sweet and sugary and all of it sparkles like rainbows and shooting stars. Current Top Three:
  1. WHAM bar = semi-hard raspberry thing the consistency of a Now and Later
  2. M&S Butter Mints = hard candy that mixes the flavors of butterscotch + mint
  3. Curly Wurly = a chocolate-covered toffee bar in a cool, twisty shape

Irish vocab lesson of the day:
"sweets" = candy
"toffee" = caramel
"biscuits" = cookies
"fruit gums" = gummies
"wine gums" = gummies that taste like wine. gross. 
"digestives" = plain flat disc cookies like MarieLus
"jaffa cakes" = fruit + chocolate is usually gross as well.
"penguins" = tim tams for those of you aussies out there.
"banoffee" = a caramel and banana cake that Jamie Oliver loves
"buttons" = chocolate circle tweaked-out animal eyes. see above. yeah.
"the state of me" = a phrase meaning I am doing something horribly unattractive
vrrry useful.

over the lips and through the gums...

look out cavities, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment